Following on from part one of this series some of the cleaned up parts required repairing. The baby chairs is constructed from what I think is Tasmanian oak. There wasn’t much damage one tenon had broken off a rail. The other parts that are have worn are near the cast iron wheels.
I was able to turn a custom dowel to replace the missing tenon. I had thought the tenon was integral to the stretcher so it required drilling to get the bits and pieces out. I even used carving chisels to clean up the stretcher. In the end the repair was successful.
The pieces close to the cast iron wheels had splinters missing making the area for the axle holes weakened. I uses a straight cutting router bit and a router table. I was able to carefully remove the damaged parts. I had some old pieces of Tasmanian Oak on hand that allowed me to make small pieces to replace the damaged parts. The new wood was a good match for the original timber on the baby chair.
The other major damage to the baby chair was the tray. The original was a piece of plywood which had become delaminated overtime. I did entertain gluing the original plywood back together. In the end I made a new tray from some old plywood I had kept from dismantling old furniture.
As with the previous part of this baby chair repair I have a compilation from Animoto.